Re: Scullin trucks in HO

Tony Thompson

Rich Townsendt wrote:

I'm building a 1958 box car that originally (and maybe always) was equipped with Scullin trucks. It's a 40-foot, 50-ton, plug-door box car. I don't find HO Scullins trucks anywhere that I look and I am wondering if anyone can suggest a truck that is close in appearance to Scullins.
Rich, most AAR truck sideframes were pretty similar, though not identical, from manufacturer to manufacturer. Moreover, each particular brand, such as Scullin, varied frequently in details of appearance, even with more than one style at any one time. If you know this particular Scullin was distinctive, by all means try and match it, but otherwise I would not bother.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history