Georgia & Florida Hoppers

Marty McGuirk

For a friend who's looking for some details - preferably photos - of Ga&Fla hoppers.

"I stumbled across a listing for an ORER for my prototype that shows some hopper cars that were previously unknown to me. There doesn't seem to be any readily available photos of these units, so I'm trying to figure out as much as possible from the information given.

It lists the cars as being 40'5" inside length, 50 ton, 2755 cubic foot capacity open hoppers. But that is the only information given. These were apparently second hand cars from some source.

Finally found a paper copy of an ORER that lists the inside width as 10' while the outside width is 10'2". So that would seem to indicate that they were definitely offset side cars. And with that kind of cubic footage and only being rated for 50 tons, it would seem that these must've been older cars with lower capacity trucks."

Any thoughts - or better yet - photos I can share with him.

I'm not even sure what the ORER is showing as a number series.

Thanks in advance,

Marty