From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
erict1361
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:55 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Borden " Butter Dish" Chemical Tank cars White Only?

Mal Houck Wrote:

To my knowledge, they were at one time painted with a orange tank body on a
black frame.

Mal,

Thanks for the Response, but the Orange or Red cars with Yellow lettering
were for Milk Service.

All,
I did more research and did find a PSC Brass model on line painted Silver
with a Black Frame in Chemical Division lettering. My concern is that this
model has No End fins. As far as I know only the Top Fin part was removed
from most all of the cars for the WW II war effort. I was only able to find
Two Chemical Division Photos On Line. One in All White and One All Blue. So
I am Not sure if this Silver car is correct or not? I found another
interesting find, Some early car photos show valve piping and valves on both
ends of the car, later photos so it only on the "B" end ? I assume these
valves controled the release of the products from the tanks, not pressure
since milk should not have expansion pressure. I do know that the First
series cars had the Brake Wheel housing separate from the Tank and later
builds had it mounted on the tank. Looks like Ureco, Ajax and Miner brakes
were used.

Eric Thur

To my knowledge, they were at one time painted with a orange tank body on
black frame.

Mal Houck