Model kit hierarchy and heritage

hvyweight41

I like to build models. I enjoy researching prototypes and seeing how close to the prototype a kit is. I plan on progressing to the point I can replace ladders, steps, roof walks, trucks and wheels with prototypical details. Also, I want to add details like brake rigging and pipes, air hoses, cut levers, etc. I have amassed a large number of HO kits. They include:
Athearn
Kato
Front Range
E&B Valley
Stewart
Accurail
Bowser
Intermountain
Walthers (white box and red? Box)
Life Like Proto 2000
Branchline Blueprint series
Roundhouse (blue box and yellow box)
Train Miniature Industries? TMI
E&C shops
C&BT Shops
Ambroid
Central Valley
Kadee Lines
The Cliff Line
Prototype Modeler
I can see significant differences in detail and overall quality between brands. However, I also see similarities in things like detail sprues and offerings.
First, is there a general consensus on the quality of these brands? I can see wide differences in skill required and quality of things like painting and lettering.
Are any of these brands descendants of other brands, listed or not? I found one thread discussing one brands genealogy and just today there was a post that mentioned company A using company B's molds to produce new copies of a detail part under company A's brand.
Has time produced better quality products? I.E. are the newer brands better than the brands they succeeded.
For now the craftsman brands:
Ambroid, Central Valley, Kadee Lines, The Cliff Line and Prototype Modeler
have been set aside until I've developed better modeling skills assembling the plastic kits. This is a lot to ask in one post. If there are posts that already answer any of my questions, please feel free to direct me there.
Thanks,
Keith Kempster
Jacksonville, FL

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.