Re: Coupler droop

hvyweight41

John-
Question 1: I am planning to use the appropriate whisker coupler, most use the #148. I have some #158 scale couplers but I'm not sure I want to use these on these basic kit.
Question 2: yes, so far all are the metall clip.
Thanks,
Keith Kempster
Jacksonville, FL
PS This may all be mote if I use Tim O'Connor's more "radical" approach, above.

--- In STMFC@..., Scaler164@... wrote:

Question 1 : Which Kadee couplers are you installing?  If you're using some of the modern "whisker" type Kadee couplers, t he 'droop' could be caused by the lack of the older style centering spring which helped to eliminate vertical clearance inside the gear boxes... assuming, of course, that the shank on the whisker couplers is the same thickness as the older couplers.  I haven't  thought to check this before, so I can't say for sure if there is a difference or not.

Question 2 : Do the problem cars have the old, metal clip-on lid for the gear box?  If so, one POSSIBLE solution might be to ever-so-slightly bend the end of this metal lid upward to help raise the coupler head to the correct height, being very careful not to bend it too much as to  pinch the shank .

John Degnan
Scaler164@...
Scaler187@...