Re: Spotting features (UNCLASSIFIED)

Armand Premo

Elden,We can really get deeply involved into modeling any one road as far as car selection is concerned.Then there is that word,"ratios".I have about all the cars I need for the roads that I model.My problem right now is a proper representation of other roads that were commonly seen on those roads.I might add that I may not be especially fond of some of these railroads ,or for that matter their cars,but for the sake of realism I have to put my personal biases aside to achieve some semblance of realism.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:02 AM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Spotting features (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Keith;

I am not totally sure what you are getting at here, but my own reply to what I think you want is: Everything counts - ends, side panels, doors, roof, running board, brake manufacturer and arrangement, trucks, RR, manufacturer, color, lettering pattern, era, materials used...

As a modeler of a specific RR, I also had to get educated on all the classes appropriate for my era, and learn a good bit about everyone else's, too, so as to model a fairly accurate fleet.

The Railroad Prototype Cyclopedia(s) put out by Ed Hawkins and Pat Wider are also a fantastic source of information, as are ORERs, prototype literature, and RR-produced correspondence and plans/general arrangements, etc.

Elden Gatwood

-----Original Message-----
From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of hvyweight41
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:35 AM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [STMFC] Spotting features

Hi all-
I have seen numerous posts which discuss spotting features. I understand there are the basic differences between types and sizes of rolling stock (I.E. box versus hopper, 40 versus 50 foot, single versus double door, etc). I've read various discussions on ends, roofs, underframes and doors. I even have two of Ted Culotta's freight car handbooks with a wealth of information. Is there a consensus on the best spotting features to discriminate whether a model is correct for a given prototype or even to identify a picture?
Thanks,
Keith Kempster
Jacksonville, FL

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.