Re: Spotting features (UNCLASSIFIED)

Armand Premo

Elden,We can really get deeply involved into modeling any one road as far as car selection is concerned.Then there is that word,"ratios".I have about all the cars I need for the roads that I model.My problem right now is a proper representation of other roads that were commonly seen on those roads.I might add that I may not be especially fond of some of these railroads ,or for that matter their cars,but for the sake of realism I have to put my personal biases aside to achieve some semblance of realism.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: Gatwood, Elden SAW
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:02 AM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Spotting features (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Keith;

I am not totally sure what you are getting at here, but my own reply to what I think you want is: Everything counts - ends, side panels, doors, roof, running board, brake manufacturer and arrangement, trucks, RR, manufacturer, color, lettering pattern, era, materials used...

As a modeler of a specific RR, I also had to get educated on all the classes appropriate for my era, and learn a good bit about everyone else's, too, so as to model a fairly accurate fleet.

The Railroad Prototype Cyclopedia(s) put out by Ed Hawkins and Pat Wider are also a fantastic source of information, as are ORERs, prototype literature, and RR-produced correspondence and plans/general arrangements, etc.

Elden Gatwood