Re: Model Kits and the evolving New Reality

Armand Premo

Circle the wagons Tonto.Guess I am outnumbered Tim.I currently have five Intermountain and Red Caboose undecorated kits all built,but can't find appropriate decals,I have yet to determine the correct trucks and also need couplers.I have been building models for as long as I can remember.I also do a lot of scratch building.Current project on the bench is a scratch built wooden , prototype specific,baggage car from styrene.I have built kits for others too whether it is due to their lack of time or talent (skill)..I enjoy building models and personally feel this is the difference from hobby of model railroading or just playing with trains.Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: Tim O'Connor
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Model Kits and the evolving New Reality

Armand

Resin kits were marginally successful among serious modelers, and
some plastic kits were very successful, but as the cost difference
between RTR items and kits made in China has narrowed, I think Andy
is making the point that the TREND is unmistakable -- fewer kits,
more RTR. Most of the younger members (35 or less) at the club I have
met have never built anything serious with their own hands. They want
to run trains, but not build them. Maybe that will change but I doubt
it -- When I was a teen, you could only buy kits, or unpainted brass.
It was go build, or stay home.

The latest HO scale Moloco box car kits are $45. RTR cars are $53.
And these are intricate kits with many fine details. Most people are
willing to trade off 8 hours of labor for $8.

Tim O'Connor