Re: Model Kits and the evolving New Reality

Armand Premo

Andy,not to belabor the point,but there is also the issue of era.A larger segment of the modeling fraternity model modern Many of the offerings by intermountain,Red Caboose even Atlas nee Branchline. were / are transition era models.We veteran modelers have over the years accumulated substantial rosters and our needs are not as great as they once were.Manufactures are very aware of this trend-.Yet when a company releases a much needed prototype- they fly off the shelves.I have called all over the country trying to fill a few voids in my roster without any results.There must be others having the same experience.Accurails' new hoppers and gons are very popular,but try finding some roads..Recently Bowser announced that they were discontinuing their line of steam locomotives.That is just another indication of the trend toward greater emphasis on modern era modeling.Let's face it Andy many of us are dinasoars.......soon to become extinct.Armand Premo--- Original Message -----
From: Andy Carlson
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2013 4:15 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Model Kits and the evolving New Reality

Armand, not a thesis, just an observation. "Kits don't sell" doesn't mean that none sell, that is preposterous.

Intermountain sold 10s of thousands of kits per year in the late 20th and early 21st centuries. Now they sell 10s of hundreds. Red Caboose sold thousands, now down to hundreds. Branchline also sold thousands of kits, now none, and even now I believe Atlas is thinking of abandoning Yardmaster kits. Walthers and Athearn each sold more than the above combined, and now? NONE! The few hundred kits made in resin has never been a big player in the absolute percentages of freight car kit marketing.

I would wager that even in this rareified air of this STMFC group, more RTR freight cars are purchased than kits.

I am not passing judgement as if this is good, or bad; it simply is what is happening out there in this industry which supplies us with our fixes.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA