Tangent Scale Models: Bethlehem Steel 70-ton Gondola NEW ROADS
Tangent Scale Models
From the floor of the 2013 National Train Show in Atlanta GA:
Tangent Scale Models is pleased to announce the availability today of new paint schemes the Bethlehem Steel Company 52'6" 70-ton drop-end riveted gondola car in HO scale. Our HO scale precision models cater to steam, steam-transition, and diesel-era modelers with original delivery schemes from Bethlehem Steel, as well as repaint offerings. All of our schemes are customized to be prototypically accurate for each roadname!
Our new gondola is available now at www.tangentscalemodels.com in these 3 NEW schemes:
- Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Class O-59A in the 1956 repaint scheme with the "Large B&O" white stenciling on the car sides! This is the most requested scheme we have had for this car, and Tangent is proud to have these available NOW in 12 road numbers.
- Lehigh Valley (LV) in the "Original 1952" oxide red paint scheme, complete with black diamond logo on the side of the car. These original paint scheme cars are now available in 6 road numbers.
- Western Maryland (WM) painted in the "Original 1951" red scheme, which features the "Fast Freight Line" logo on the side of the car. This car is available in 6 road numbers.
Also, due to customer demand, Tangent Scale Models is proud to announce the availability of these five popular schemes again, with brand new road numbers for 2013:
- Baltimore & Ohio (B&O) Class O-59 in the "Original 1937" paint scheme with white stencils on a black carbody, available in 4 new road numbers.
- Central Railroad of Pennsylvania (CRP) in the original 1944 paint scheme with white stencils including "Lady Liberty" and "Jersey Central Lines" on a black carbody, available in 4 new road numbers.
- Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ) in the same 1944 paint scheme as CRP above but with a 1952 reweigh date. Like our CRP replicas, it includes the white stencils including "Lady Liberty" and "Jersey Central Lines" on a black carbody, available in 4 new road numbers.
- Lehigh Valley (LV) in the gorgeous 1973 repaint "Cornell red", available in 4 new road numbers.
- Western Maryland (WM) painted in the original 1953 red scheme, available in 4 new road numbers.
- Undecorated RTR or Kit
These products will begin shipping on Monday, July 29, 2013.
Want to see photos of our new spectacular replicas? See http://tangentscalemodels.com/bethlehem70tongondolareplicas.aspx for a link to the new models!
First produced in March 1937 for Baltimore & Ohio Railroad as class O-59, B&O alone purchased 4,000 of these drop-end gondolas which served every corner of North America in many services. Five additional railroads purchased these Bethlehem-design gondolas in intervening years until production ceased in 1957. Most of these gondolas were phased from revenue service by the mid-1980s, with many serving additional years in various MOW roles.
The Tangent Scale Models prototype replica of the Bethlehem Steel gondola has never been produced in HO scale as a styrene model, making it a distinctive addition to any freight car fleet. Other brands may offer these schemes on their cars, but they are not correct! As typical of our products, we take the time to focus on execution of all the small details. We studied the prototype to accurately reproduce it with the following features:
- Dimensional accuracy - scaled from Bethlehem Steel plans
- Highly accurate "true to life" colors
- Exact stencils and lettering placement - compare our replicas to the prototype photos on our website!
- Detail variations: Tie downs appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: Steel or wood deck inside the car
- Detail variations: Duryea and conventional end sill detail appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: Tack board locations appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: End door variations (Dreadnaught and Straight Corrugated) appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: Brake platforms appropriate for each paint scheme
- Detail variations: Road-specific handbrakes applied to match production specifications (Universal, Ajax, or Equipco handbrakes available as separate parts, too!)
- Interior deck sits at the scale height
- Interior detail inside the gondola
- Wire grab irons and coupler lift bars
- Air hoses
- Weighted to NMRA specs for smooth operation
- Kadee® scale metal couplers
- Tangent 70-ton ASF A-3 Ride-Control trucks with free-rolling metal wheels
- Recommended age 14 years and older.
Pricing for our new RTR gondolas is $32.95 each, and we offer discounts for quantities of 6, 12, and 24 models. Feel free to "mix and match" your own multi-scheme order, and you can "mix and match" with our previously released ACF Gondolas – currently available in PRR (2 flavors), ACL, DL&W, Sacramento Northern, SP "Gothic", Wabash, Western Pacific, and Undecorated. Please order online from us today from www.tangentscalemodels.com for fastest, guaranteed shipping. You may also call us at 828-279-6106 to place an order over the phone. Our cars generally sell out quickly – order direct to guarantee your purchase! Or contact your local hobby shop!
Tangent Scale Models will debut and sell these models at the National Train Show in Atlanta GA from July 19-21, 2013. Please stop by and introduce yourself!
Thank you for continuing to support Tangent Scale Models!
David Lehlbach – live from the National Train Show in Atlanta, GA USA
Tangent Scale Models - "Unparalleled scale replicas for discriminating railroad modelers"
PO Box 6514
Asheville NC 28816