Re: Model Kits and the evolving New Reality

Tim O'Connor

Armand, you are indeed belaboring Andy's point. Bowser has decided
to quit making steam locos because they are too expensive and far too
difficult to build from kits for most modelers -- and because of the
great abundance of fine running steam loco models from China! Many of
the younger men at the train club buy RTR steam. I don't think steam
is less popular -- By unit sales it's probably far greater now than
it was 20 or 30 years ago. Your prediction of extinction is premature.

Tim O'Connor

Andy, not to belabor the point, but there is also the issue of era.
A larger segment of the modeling fraternity model modern. Many of the
offerings by Intermountain, Red Caboose even Atlas nee Branchline were/are
transition era models. We veteran modelers have over the years accumulated
substantial rosters and our needs are not as great as they once were.
Manufactures are very aware of this trend. Yet when a company releases a
much needed prototype - they fly off the shelves. I have called all over
the country trying to fill a few voids in my roster without any results.
There must be others having the same experience. Accurails' new hoppers and
gons are very popular, but try finding some roads.. Recently Bowser announced
that they were discontinuing their line of steam locomotives. That is just another
indication of the trend toward greater emphasis on modern era modeling. Let's
face it Andy many of us are dinasoars.......soon to become extinct.
Armand Premo