Re: end of kits

bflynnd1

Um, while I can not probably be classified as young anymore, (42) I have come to enjoy the challenge of building freight car kits. I have learned a lot from this group, and I would much rather spend the time building a prototypically correct car, then buying an RTR car. I do not have a layout at this time, but the previous one also had all hand laid track and over 50 hand laid switches. So please don't generalize all of us!

-----Original Message-----
From: EdwardM <ed_mines@yahoo.com>
To: STMFC <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Jul 19, 2013 2:19 pm
Subject: [STMFC] end of kits

I think the greying of model railroaders in general fueled the shift from kits
o RTR.
Many modelers end up with a closet full of kits; they then progress to buying
ess and spending more for each item. RTR is preferable to kits which may never
et built or can't be built in the first place.You can put RTR on your layout or
n a shelf. Kits stay in the box forever.
Together, this group has enough unbuilt kits to stock several hobby shops.
Kits have always been slow movers - if the buffs don't buy them all up they can
tick around hobby shops for years.
Hobbies for men never sold anything more complicated than blue box screw driver
its. The owner knew how to make money.
We are lame ducks for (1) being interested in the steam era & (2) liking to
uild models. Both interests seem to be dying out.

Individual Email | Traditional
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/