Re: G&F Hoppers

Charles Hostetler

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Chris Dills <cddx@...> wrote:
Here's another hopper question; In the attached photo is hopper #12017 with built date stenciled 9-23 which is part of the 26 hoppers mentioned in the 1959 and 1960 OER's here on Lee's site;

http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/other_cars/gf_cars/gf_roster/gf1959-01.htm

http://www.railgoat.railfan.net/other_cars/gf_cars/gf_roster/gf1960-04.htm

The OER's indicate that these were 1940 cubic foot cars. The lettering on the side indicates the car is 25xx cubic foot. The last two letters are unreadable to me, but the first two seem to be 25 for sure... {snip} They also only appear in the 1959 and 1969 OER's.

Hi Chris,

The series appears in the April 1957 ORER (page 7 item 11) as:

Hopper, All Steel
12001 to 12026
IL 34'
IW 9'4"
OL 41'
EW 9'10"
EH 11'2"
CAPY 2508 cu ft., 100,000 lbs.

and in the Jan 1958 ORER (page 7 item 11) as:

Hopper, All Steel
12001 to 12026
IL 34'
IW 9'4"
OL 41'
EW 9'10"
EH 11'2"
CAPY 2508 cu ft., 100,000 lbs.

and in the April 1959 ORER (page 7 item 11) as:

Hopper, All Steel
12001 to 12026
IL 34'
IW 9'4"
OL 41'
EW 9'10"
EH 11'2"
CAPY 1940 cu ft., 100,000 lbs.

All entries are identical except that in the April 1959 listing, the cubic capacity was decreased to 1940 cu. ft. If these entries are all describing the same cars, which seems likely to me, it could be that the G&F reclassified the cubic capacity for some reason.

Here are the HMs with 34' IL from the Jan 1958 ORER:

RPT Start Stop IL CuFt CAPY #
DL&W 83300 83799 34 2151 100,000 451
DL&W 85000 85499 34 2151 100,000 422
L&N 186000 186299 34 2092 100,000 208