Re: end of kits

geodyssey <riverob@...>

I consider this subject to be a subset of the "The End of the hobby in near" argument. I've been hearing variations of that since I started doing serious modeling in the early 70s. Yet today the variety of hobby products (including steam era freight cars) is greater than ever, and inflation-adjusted prices are not out of line with those of 20, 30, or 40 years ago.

Robert Simpson

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

This discussion reminds me of the 1950s, when the emergence of injection-molded plastic threatened the then-dominance of metal, wood and cardstock. "There won't be any more craftsmen," was one of the cries often heard. And the emergence of kits that didn't require creating or finishing some parts yourself? Sacrilege! "Soon there won't be anyone capable of building anything by themselves." 'Nuff said.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history