From: geodyssey <riverob@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:39 PM
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: end of kits

I consider this subject to be a subset of the "The End of the hobby in near"
argument. I've been hearing variations of that since I started doing
serious modeling in the early 70s. Yet today the variety of hobby products
(including steam era freight cars) is greater than ever, and
inflation-adjusted prices are not out of line with those of 20, 30, or 40
years ago.

Robert Simpson

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> , Tony
Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

This discussion reminds me of the 1950s, when the emergence of
injection-molded plastic threatened the then-dominance of metal, wood and
cardstock. "There won't be any more craftsmen," was one of the cries often
heard. And the emergence of kits that didn't require creating or finishing some
parts yourself? Sacrilege! "Soon there won't be anyone capable of building
anything by themselves." 'Nuff said.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history