Re: end of kits

Simon <simon_dunkley@...>

Tim,

I am not sure if you are pulling my leg, or if you have missed my point, as the whole essence was that many who start with building don't weather things (which I think is a shame but this is down to personal taste) whereas with younger modellers who show a talent for applying it to ready to play models, there is a way to get them more involved in the hobby, and build their confidence and interest, as well as a more varied and, dare I say, prototypical freight car fleet.

Personally, I started by removing moulded handrails, etc, on plastic RTR, and replacing them with wire, moving on to repainting and weathering, and then plastic kits. Following that to a dabble with etched and cast components and kits, to building my own from a variety of materials. Although one thing merged into another, there is no denying that there are some clear stages in that process.

Hence the "stages" were just floated as a way of marking progress. Once they have mastered weathering RTR, they can/may move onto repainting. Once they are good at this, an older modeller acting as mentor can suggest/guide/encourage them to refine some of the moulded details. Once they have got the hang of that, kits are an obvious next stage, with increasing complexity and difficulty, finally getting into scratch-building.

All this done by taking an active interest in their progress and providing support and encouragement. It can also be shown on-line, but if you know some younger (or beginner) modellers in your area, it is possible to provide support and encouragement.

Or we can just sit here, bemoan the lack of younger entrants into the hobby, and fail to encourage them.

Just my opinion.

Simon

Simon, modeling is modeling. But I'm not sure that I buy the "stages"
of modeling. Many of our finest scratchbuilders, kitbashers and builders
on this list (you know who you are! :-)) have never weathered anything!

Tim O'

One thing I have noticed with RTR is that people who don't build things
now have time to develop weathering and painting skills -- There were some
kids (20's) at the Springfield show with a spectacular collection of
beautifully weathered cars (including many with added open loads). I mean,
if you need a couple dozen cars of one type, would you like to build AND
weather them, or just concentrate on the weathering? There are now many
specialized paints sold specifically for weathering.
Is this not the way in, though? They start with weathering, such that they can make 20 cars in the same paint scheme look different. Then they move onto repaints before the weathering stage, to create more variety, then detail changes/upgrades, and finally onto conversions and kits. Each time they "advance" a stage, they know that they can always finish off the project - a stage many who start by building are reticent about.

Where's the problem, other than in our failure to reach out to interested young modellers?

Simon