Re: My first airbrush

Jack Burgess

I used Badger air brushes for years, first single-action and then
dual-action. The dual-action ones require that you do two things at the same
time...push down on the button to control the amount of air and pull back to
control the amount of paint. It sounds very difficult. But the problem I had
with the single-action air brushes (where the amount of paint is controlled
by a screw adjustment) is that I'd carefully set the screw adjustment to
produce a very thin line of paint and once I started spraying, the tip would
clog just a little and the air brush would stop painting and I'd need to
stop and adjust it again. If you feel that you could start with a
double-action air brush, I'd recommend that you do.

Bruce's advise about acrylics is good. I started out air-brushing Floquil
(and Scalecoat for brass) and still use Floquil, regardless of complaints
about color quality control. (When Testors announced the discontinuance of
Floquil, I put in a $200 order with Caboose Hobbies of the colors I use the
most...I think that I'll have enough to finish my stash of 100 resin kits.)

All of the Badger air brushes were siphon-feed air brushes. After using a
couple of types of Badger air brushes for nearly four decades, I bought a
gravity-feed Iwata air brush after trying it out at a NMRA Train Show. With
Floquil, I have found that I don't need to dilute the paint with thinner to
air brush it...that saves paint since you shouldn't pour diluted paint back
into the bottle (although I've been known to do that). I think that the
Iwata air brush is a superior brand but, for most of us, it might depend
mostly on what you started out with...I was generally happy with the Badger
air brushes but I'm not intimidated by trying something new (unless it is
acrylic paints). <g>

Jack Burgess