Re: Provenance of this car

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 27, 2013, at 1:11 PM, dochauk <dochauk@adelphia.net> wrote:
Group;

I am trying to track down the origin of this boxcar:

SNY boxcar
<http://www.black-swan-images.com/photos/i-zX7pKqL/0/XL/i-zX7pKqL-XL.jpg\;
It is listed on the 1905 ORER as being 33' 5" long, 8' 4" wide, and 6'
10" in height, capacity 60000 lbs. It was still on the property on the
October 1940 ORER as a MOW car. I believe the photo was taken between
1938 and 1942.

Something sticks in my head that this might be a former P&R car, but
I'm not sure.

Also, what kind of funky trucks are those?

Those dates look about right, as the car has been re-equipped with a steel roof (Hutchins?) and Youngstown corrugated steel doors. I don't know the origin of the car, but there's nothing "funky" about those trucks; they were Thielsen arch bars, which were applied to thousands of freight cars around the turn of the century.

Richard Hendrickson