Re: Canadian 8-hatch reefers; was True Line trains slab side CN covered hopper

Bryan Busséy

Both the CN slab side hoppers and CN eight-hatch reefers traveled
regularly to all of the New England states. They were common in NYNH&H
freight consists and were seen in and passing through New Haven (the
city). I assume they traveled on to both New York and Maybrook to
interchange with additional roads, but I haven't researched it to that
extent. I haven't seen any evidence that the CP counterparts traveled
New Haven rails. But it stands to reason that they must have, albeit
less frequently than the CN cars. Since the eight-hatch reefers were
used to carry so many specialized environment-sensitive commodities and
not just goods requiring refrigeration, they must have traveled to all
corners of the continent.

bb

On 7/30/2013 8:29 AM, Don wrote:

--- In STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com>,
"Bill" <wpmccoy@> wrote:

Any comments or thoughts on the True line CN slab side covered
hopper? Did they ever come to the US?
This question has already received appropriate response but had me
wondering again about the same question applied to the 8-hatch reefers
also used by both of the two large Canadian roads. In watching a
railroad video over the weekend the answer became clear with at least
the CNR gray 8-hatch reefers when one appeared on a train photographed
in southern New England. I'm not going to speculate on how many or how
far they came into the US but clearly at least one car can be
documented from wich I will speculate that it was not the only one. As
we used to hear quite often, "There's a prototype for everything".

Cordially, Don Valentine