DT&I 16000-16199 and 16200-16263

Eric Lombard

In 1953, 200 ATSF 50' cars rebuilt '36-'38 were renumbered out of several series to DT&I 16000-16199. For the DT&I cars, the ORER indicates IH = 11-8 until 1956, then IH = 10-3 as the ATSF-installed roof extensions were removed. Photos of cars as early as 1955 show this height reduction.

64 cars were RENO to DT&I 16200-16263 as rebuilt to IH 10-3 in 1956. The 1957 DT&I equipment diagram (page 7-12) for these cars indicates in Note 2: "car sides are not symmetrical - in that doors on left side are closer to car CL by 3'-0 1/2"." The diagram clearly shows the asymmetry. The effect is to shift the door opening one side sheet to the right on the left side of the car resulting in a different side sheet pattern on the right and left sides (colons represent rivets on sheet seams):
Published photos show both side sheet patterns (and drove me nuts until I found the small print in the diagram).

Some help from the group with the following would be most welcome:

1. All published photos I have seen of the cars in their ATSF years show the side sheet pattern indicated for the right side above suggesting (probabilistically) that the asymmetry is unique to the DT&I. Is there evidence to the contrary?

2. Were the 64 cars in DT&I 16200-16263 the only rebuilds with the asymmetry? Or, were some or all cars still in 16000-16199 also rebuilt to asymmetrical side patterns when the IH was lowered for 11-8 to 10-3?

3. All copies of the 1957 DT&I equipment diagram book available to me are missing page 7-11 for the series 16000-16199. I would be grateful if someone could provide me with a copy of this page (or better a pdf of a complete DT&I equipment diagram book for the late 1950s or early 1960s.

4. Of random interest... know of any other box car series with asymmetrical side patterns?

Thanks in advance!
Eric