Re: Looking for a Short Line

Dean Payne

The Wheeling and Lake Erie has the following to recommend it:

TWO books, written by John B. Corns, with photos etc., for your research pleasure. Also, the Nickel Plate Historical and Technical Society is a source of information.
The location in Ohio is near auto manufacturing plants, so auto cars are possible (but not common, probably). The nearby Nickel Plate got its first 50' auto cars in 1936, IIRC, so it's possible that one could
The Wheeling got its first covered hoppers in 1937, and are available from Funaro in resin. I don't know how much you want to keep this in the mid-30's, you might be willing to bend it to the mid-late 30's.
Much of the Wheeling's rolling stock was coal hoppers, similar to GLa twins and H21 quads (some kitbashing is needed to make these more accurate), and they got some Alternate Standard offset hoppers starting in 1936. They had a lot of gons, slightly more than the number of hoppers. Your best bets for modeling are the IM USRA composite gons, and the Walthers USRA mill gons, or kitbash the Accurail gons by adding plate ends. They hauled a lot of pipe out of the pipe mill in Lorain. For boxcars, the Red Caboose X29 (ARA) box car is accurate. For cabooses... you'd have to kitbash the Roundhouse wood caboose (turn to the NKPHTS Magazine article for two variations of this kitbash).
For steamers, the Bachmann 2-8-0, BLI Heavy Mikado, Bachmann 2-6-6-2, and Proto USRA 0-8-0 and 0-6-0 are available.
I model the W&LE in the late 30's. It might be a bit large for a "short line", but I think it has enough interchange that it might work for you.

Dean Payne

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "John Miller" <amwing1588@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the correct venue to ask this, but I will anyway. I need help in discovering a short line RR set in the early to mid 1930's (depression era). I would like to be able to research it through visits, photo's and books and then build a layout and fill it with the correct types of rolling stock appropriate for that time period.
The short line I'm interested in modeling would have had it's own road name (or even one of a major line)along with it's own rolling stock, but would also move a lot of interchange cars along it's line and might include rolling stock...from milk cars, log cars, covered hoppers to 50' auto boxes and Oh ya...lots of small to medium steamers. I've been modeling the larger mainline roads for years, but just find myself yearning for something special. There are so many of these branch lines/short lines across the country, and that being said, I'd like to hear from you all, which ones you like and why. At this point, I don't have a geographical preference, so let the suggestions fly.

Thanks to all in advance.

John Miller
Folsom, CA.