Re: Kadee Bracket Grab attachment

Phillip Blancher <pblancher@...>

I used a dab of canopy glue on mine without issue.

Phil

On Aug 10, 2013 11:01 AM, "Bill Welch" <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I have been building so many wood sheathed cars that I have never had
an opportunity to use Peter Aue's excellent Drill Template (available
from Yarmouth Model Works) for Kadee's beautiful bracket grabs. This
morning I used it to prepare a "Smoky Valley" (now the Wright Trak)
Tennessee Central steel boxcar. I carefully walked the hole size up
from #79 to #75 which is the size where if I press on the ends of the
bracket it looks like it will be a press fit, which of course is the
way these parts are designed to attached. Has anyone used this method
of attachment?

Engineering plastic as we know is hard to attach with most glues or
adhesives. I would consider using epoxy but the resin ends and sides
are thick, meaning there is not much of a pin exposed for the epoxy
to grab hold of. I could enlarge the hole slightly. I also have
someone's two-step adhesive--Loctite I think--designed for
engineering plastic that I have sort of been waiting for a moment
like this to try. I still need to enlarge the hole enough to allow
the adhesive to flow into it. (I never could get Cyanopoxy to work
for me.)

With the thinner styrene section of most steel car kits, I am
planning to melt the end of the attachment pin with a hot screw driver.

Anyway I am curious how others are attaching the Kadee grab parts.
Bill Welch
2225 Nursery Road; #20-104
Clearwater, FL 33764-7622
727.470.9930