From: Tony Thompson <tony@signaturepress.com>
To: STMFC <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sat, Aug 10, 2013 1:10 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] bulkhead flatcar loads

Bill Pardie wrote:

I would like to know what other loads bulkhead flats were created for. I have a couple and am not sure of what the load should be.
Most were originally built for plasterboard service. In my opinion, these should not be confused with pulpwood cars, which almost always have canted decks and were not suitable for use as general service flat cars. The use of bulkheads for pipe and similar long loads, as well as for packaged lumber, was at the end of the 1950s and into the 1960s, as railroads realized how versatile a car they were. But I'm sure this time line varied from railroad to railroad, so I would welcome information from anyone on the list with SPECIFIC information about a particular road.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history