Re: bulkhead flatcar loads

Dave Sarther

Tony, Bill and other interested bulkhead flatcar modelers,

CB&Q Color Guide to Freight & Passenger Cars by the late Mike Spoor has five great color photos of these cars in service on pages 94 and 95. The bulkhead flat cars for the CB&Q were built at their Havelock Shops in 1959-60 (#93500-93599 Class LP-1's had 6'6" bulkheads) and again in 1961 (#93600-93649 LP-2's with 6'6" bulkheads), 1962 (#9500-95049 LP-3's with 6'6" bulkheads and 4 cars from this group receiving 8'6" bulkheads; car #95030 was assigned to M&O Paper a division of Boise Cascade in International Falls, MN) and a final 1964 group (#95050-95189 LP-4's with 8'6" bulkheads). In 1967 the "Q" ordered 100 bulkhead flat cars ( #95200-95299) from General Steel Casting Co. From this last order of cars #95250-95299 were assigned to US Gypsum in Sperry, Iowa. Bulkhead flatcar #95151 was assigned to Big Horn Gypsum in 1969.

The "Q" bulkhead flat cars were 48'6" long between their bulkheads and had 3" thick oak floor boards. Only a very limited number were painted in the pre-merger cascade green. Others remained the standard CB&Q box car red during their CB&Q years. Photos of these cars show them carrying RR ties, lumber (all wrapped) and plasterboard (under protective cover). One photo is of an empty car in the Cicero, IL yard.

The five color photos in Mike's book are by George Speir, Jim Sandrin and Paul Winters.

While most of the CB&Q cars were built after the scope of this forum they had their origins before the cut-off dates. Hope this information helps.

Later, Dave Sarther Tucson, AZ

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sat, Aug 10, 2013 1:10 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] bulkhead flatcar loads

Bill Pardie wrote:

I would like to know what other loads bulkhead flats were created for. I have a couple and am not sure of what the load should be.
Most were originally built for plasterboard service. In my opinion, these should not be confused with pulpwood cars, which almost always have canted decks and were not suitable for use as general service flat cars. The use of bulkheads for pipe and similar long loads, as well as for packaged lumber, was at the end of the 1950s and into the 1960s, as railroads realized how versatile a car they were. But I'm sure this time line varied from railroad to railroad, so I would welcome information from anyone on the list with SPECIFIC information about a particular road.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@signaturepress.com
Publishers of books on railroad history

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.