Re: G&F Hoppers / DL&Wquads

MDelvec952

Those DL&W quads were in reality 300 cars purchased from the Boston & Maine, which are very close to the B&O quads represented by the blue-box Athearn car. I have a few in the closet that I hope will be so modified one day.

Pictures of these cars are not common -- maybe one or two have surfaced showing an entire car with any clarity. The partial cars show up and they appeared to be in the standard DL&W paint with the "Road of Anthracite" heralds nearly centered under the name.

Here's a photo of a batch of empties in 1954 that illustrates the anthracite region nearing the end of the anthracite era. Somewhere in this yard should be a couple of quads.

I was a bidder but didn't win the slide.

....Mike Del Vecchio

-----Original Message-----
To: STMFC <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tue, Aug 13, 2013 1:18 pm
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: G&F Hoppers

Sorry but I was unable find a photo of the DL&W quads. As I recall they were pretty typical offset cars...

ala the one produced many years back in HO by Athearn

Chuck Y

Sent: Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:51 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: G&F Hoppers

Chuck,

Do you have any photos of these cars? Would be interesting to see.

THANKS!

-Chris Dills

--- In mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com, Charles R Yungkurth <drgwrail@...> wrote:

Pretty sure those G&H hopper cars were DL&W quqads. Lackawanna sold off all their fleet starting around in about 40 since industrial shipping of anthracite went down and retail coal dealers didn't want coal in large cars. In many places their coal trestles couldn't take the weight.
Â
It could be that the railraod changed the angle of the slope shhets from the 30 degrees cound in coal cars to the 60 degrees found in cement cars since most comodities other than coal won't flow down a 30 degree slope. When EL converted cement cars to ballat cars thye increased the slope sheets even more and some of them had paltes added to cover the wider space between the top of the car end and the upper edge of the slope sheet. So in essence, when coal hoppers were coverted to other uses the cubic fottage gnerally went down.
Â
Chuck Yungkurth
Boulder Colorado.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.