Re: 40ft Athearn Flatcar kit - does it represent any prototype?

al_brown03

Well, it isn't a Pennsy car AFAIK ... but it is pretty close to a prototype or two. (The criteria are sidesill shape, number/placement of stake pockets, and to a lesser extent deck details and underframe shape.) The Rutland had some flats close to it, and there's also an ACL class much like it (albeit often overlooked because they were rebuilds). I want to say there was one more ... I'm working from memory on this, will try to be more specific when I get home tonight.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "jatravia" <jatravia@...> wrote:

Hello,

I recently purchased an Athearn blue box flatcar kit at a flee market,
cheap, for sake of practicing weathering. It is a 40ft flatcar w/
stakes (model #1350 if I'm reading the box right). It is lettered for
the Pennsy and is # 425500. The car data that I can read suggest a
build date of 1950.

I was going to assemble and weather it as is but I am curious: does this
car match any prototype close enough to warrant an upgrade? I wasn't
able to find a photo of the real PRR 425500 but it does appear to have
actually been a flatcar. Any thoughts? I'd be interested in trying a
full repaint and decal job if someone could point me in the right
direction. Otherwise I'm going to weather it and forget it.

Thank you,

Joe Travia <><