From: Eric H. [mailto:eric@hansmanns.org]
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 09:22 AM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Unknown gons in Minneapolis taken in Sep 1939

Greetings Claus,

I downloaded the TIF file and used Photoshop to review. After applying
the sharpen filter and adjusting contrast and brightness some details
can be seen better.

The steel gondola on the left seems like a Wheeling & Lake Erie 72000
series, fish belly center sill gondola. Standard Steel Car Company
produced 1000 of these 70 ton gondolas in 1917. In-service images are
scarce. I have another image of this gondola design posted on my 1926
W&LE freight car roster review. It's about halfway down this page.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/wle-freight-car-fleet-of-1926/
<http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/wle-freight-car-fleet-of-1926/>

The car on the right seems to have AT&SF reporting marks that are barely
discernible above the crane body. I'm still learning about the Santa Fe
freight car fleet, but this gondola seems to follow the Caswell design.

It's most interesting how the light reflects off of the different
materials here. While the wood on the AT&SF car seems weathered, I think
it is in better shape than it appears.

Eric Hansmann

El Paso. TX

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Claus Schlund (HGM)" wrote:

Hi everyone,

Unknown gons in Minneapolis taken in Sep 1939 - anyone have a guess as
to what the roadnames are?

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/fsa2000041031/PP/resource/
<http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/fsa2000041031/PP/resource/>

- Claus Schlund