Re: Can this be a ULX type V or X tank car?

Steve and Barb Hile

I can't quite make out the car number in this photo, but it appears to be
15339. It that is correct, it is, in fact a V car. Series 15000 - 15499
was built by Pressed Steel car in 1911 as 6500 gallon V cars. The spotting
feature would be that the heavy bottom sheet extends beyond the tank heads.
You can sort of see this in this picture. A large number of these cars were
dusted off and used in the buildup and during WWII in solid oil trains. But
they were not converted to AB brakes and so were rapidly retired after the
war.

I wish they had the higher definition scan of this photo available, we could
tell the number and other features more clearly.

Regards,

Steve Hile

_____