From: Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@opendoor.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] C of G 40' door and a half cars

On Aug 25, 2013, at 3:41 PM, Brian Carlson <mailto:prrk41361%40yahoo.com> wrote:

Cleaning my workbench today and found a sunshine mini-kit for a Central of
Georgia 40 ft' Door and a half boxcar. Looking at some pics of the cars I
believe they were W corners is this correct?
Yes.

Did these cars stay with 10 ft
openings for their service lives? Some RR's welded or removed the Aux door
when 40 ft cars with 10 ft openings went out of favor for Automobile
service.
Yes. I have photos from as late as 1962 still with 10' doors. These cars were never in automobile service; they were intended for furniture loading and were used for that, as well as routine XM service, as long as they lasted on the C of G. Incidentally, they had Barber S-2 trucks with spring planks, the truck recently introduced in Ho scale by Tahoe Model Works. I'm sending you a photo off-list of a car reweighed and repainted in '54.

Richard Hendrickson