Re: KCS SS boxcar

Tony Thompson

Dennis Storzek wrote:
--- In STMFC@..., <tony@...> wrote:
As early as 1932, the Standard Railway Equipment Co. called the paneled roofs "Solidsteel" also. I don't believe the name is associated with absence of panels.

Actually, the really significant thing was these are the first roofs where all the panels are riveted together, making the roof one solid structure, which could act as a shear panel to resist "weaving" in the carbody . . .
The quote over my name is Eric Lombard's, not mine, and I entirely agree with Dennis about the importance of solid steel roofs, which were mechanically far stiffer, simpler in that they eliminated carlines, and much more weathertight over time.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history