Re: Milwaukee (CTSE or CTH&SE) box car question

Michael Aufderheide

Tim,

Sunshine 57.4-6

Mike Aufderheide

Thanks Richard. Looking again (and reading between the lines) I found
that 815 of these cars were still in service, lettered for CTSE, in 1959!
By 1965 the number series of several composite box cars were combined but
the total number of cars is still in the thousands!!

Kewl! Has anyone produced a model that is close to these CTSE box cars?

Tim O'Connor

On Aug 27, 2013, at 7:28 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

I grabbed a photo someone posted to Facebook of CTSE 716214,
a single sheated box car. But I can't find this car listed in
the 1940 or 1950 ORERs. (The photo is undated but appears to
be from the late 1930's or 1940's.) The car is a Howe truss
design box car with 2 diagonals on each side of the door.

Anyone got roster info for this car? Why can't I find it in
the ORER? :-)
Probably because you're not reading the ORER carefully enough, Tim. You modern computer guys are barely literate, and get less so every year. My 10-41 ORER shows that car as part of C.T.H.& S.E. series 715600-716499. CTH&SE cars were scattered throughout the MILW roster, but in every case with the C.T.H.& S.E. initials above the entry. This practice continued in the ORERs at least as late as 1953 and doubtless continued until the MILW absorbed the case with CTSE reporting marks into the MILW fleet.

Richard Hendrickson