Re: New InterMountain C&O hopper

Don <riverman_vt@...>

Ben, it would be nice to know the DEC/JAN/FEB data -- coal
in small volumes is most likely to be consumed for heating
in the winter, and the only N&W cars listed here are in March
and October, which are colder months in Vermont -- but not the
coldest months! :-)

I assume this is all hopper car data we're looking at? If so,
what could have caused that burst of hopper cars in July?

Tim O'

Here's some more data pulled from shifting lists from Armand' collection for 1950:

Month/ # of days/ # of cars/ # of N&W hoppers

Mar 1950 7/ 62/ 1 (N&W 80753)
May 1950 1/ 3/ 0
June 1950 3/ 18/ 0
July 1950 22/ 143/ 0
Sept 1950 3/ 10/ 0
Oct 1950 18/ 181/ 2 (N&W 4867, 70839)
Nov 1950 28/ 244/ 0

Admittedly, a limited sample size (it's like looking through a straw); however, 3 cars
out of 661 is decimal dust.

Ben Hom

To me this has all been very interesting even if it will not justify the inclusion of more than one or two of the expected InterMountain C&O hoppers on my car roster. Thus the comments of Ben, Mike, Tim, Jerry and Armand are all appreciated, as is the fact that I had fogotten that Armand had shared his wheel reports with the folks at RPI some years ago. As the old expression goes, "there is a prototype for everything" but I like to keep it within the realm of what could reasonably be expected even if Mike sometimes disagrees with me on that score. I do know that with so many books behind me in the bookcases that my wife, with a Master's in Civil Engineering, worries about the weight of them on the floor, and many photos in file cabinets elsewere here, that I have seen very few photos of
N&W, Virginian or C&O hoppers in Maine, New Hampshire of Vermont.
In fact I cannot recall a single one of a C&O hopper though a very few
N&W and a few more Virginian hoppers have been noted. On both the Rutland and the Central Vermont the most common hoppers seem to have always been B&O hoppers, at least in the late 1940's. To a lesser extent this seems to be true of the B&M as well. In the case of the CV in particular, I believe the coal used by the CV's steam power arrived in B&O hoppers for some years, having several photos of B&O hoppers being unloaded as CV coal tipples in St. Albans, White River Junction and Palmer. Pennsy hoppers certainly were present, both twins and quads, as were NYC, D&H, Reading and Lackawanna. Less commonly seen were CNJ or CRP and very few LV, L&NE or other coal haulers. some years ago, when I began to realize what the B&M, MEC, BAR and even Rutland and CV hoppers were actually used for, and began paying more attention to them, it became clear that home road hoppers
were usually the most prevalent. Indeed, Armand has shared many stories over the years of the Rutland dropping coal from foreign road hoppers into home road hoppers and antiquated hopper bottom gons on a trestle formerly located only a mile of so from his home.

The Northwestern Vermont Model R.R. Society offered custom decorated Accurail twin hoppers to satisfy the need for Central Vermont hoppers in HO scale a few years ago and NERS did the same with the B&M offset panel series of twin hoppers some years ago when it was found that the Athearn offset side hopper was so close that even the rivet count was nearly a match. Others have used the Athearn
quad hopper for the B&M's #8000 series quads and all are very close.
I believe all of these are still available from diffferent sources.
The Accurail USRA twin hopper is available lettered for the Rutland, as is a Bowser twin hopper. These two are not quite so close but can certainly be altered a bit to become more so. Thus our primary needs in modeling the roads in Northern New England (That's just southeast and east of Montreal, Canada, eh Mike! And well northeast of Neu Yawk as well!) have been served in that manner.

Thanks to all for an interesting discussion, Don Valentine