Re: Disassembling Kadee 50-ft PS1 boxcar

npin53

http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/instruc.htm

About 2/3 down on the page, there are links to assembly instructions for the various Kadee cars.  I had bought a L&N PS-1 and needed to switch it out to scale couplers.  The pages were very useful.  The cars can be a Rubik's Cube when putting back together.

Aaron

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, <stmfc@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Years ago when they first came out I purchased several 40-ft.

undecorated InterMountain PS-1's each one destined for a specific

model and one 50-footer to be done as a Southern model. At some point

Des Plaines did the Black & Silver Central of Georgia 50-ft. car

which at the time I knew I would have to work on it since it was for

a car built in 1956 and I needed the 1954 delivery. At the recent

NMRA Convention in Atlanta I attended Todd Horton's very fine clinic

of CofG boxcars that featured their 50-footers and then purchased

several in-service photos of the 1954 cars at the CofG booth. Thus

inspired I took out the painted kit box to see what was ahead of me

beyond having to change the car number, which I was now better

prepared to do since I has also purchased a Microscale set of CofG

covered hopper decals that had the proper black numbers at the CofG

booth. I knew I was going to have to change the sill as the CofG

examples had a tabbed sill rather than the continuous sill on the

InterMountain molding. I wondered if the old Robin's Rails molding

had the tabbed sill or maybe the Kadee version. If so, I thought I

might prevail upon someone in this group to do a tracing so that I

could create a template to do the cutting. While looking at the Kadee

site I saw that they had offered the CofG version with the correct

sill profile, although again in the 1956 version.

The various Kadee releases were long sold out but they have a data

base for finding dealers with their releases and I found a dealer

that had two in stock. As I contemplated all of the work required on

the sill of the InterMountain model sanity set in and I ordered the

Kadee version. To be clear the model I will have will never achieve

exactly the 1954 CofG version since it had 8 panels on each side of

the door which is why Kadee will never do this group. But by painting

the black roof with a galvanized looking paint mix and changing or

painting the running board too, along the number change and altering

the reweigh and lub data, I will be pretty close. I am also going to

re-detail the u/f as I don't like the look of the rods and the brake

components look undersized to me.

I know the Kadee models snap together. Is the underframe attached by

any of the screws or is it snapped into place. I assume I can gently

pry off the running board system. What about the supports at the

ends. Do they fit into small holes. Any tips for disassembling will

be helpful as the Kadee cars are totally new to me. Thank you!

Bill Welch

2225 Nursery Road; #20-104

Clearwater, FL 33764-7622

727.470.9930