From: Don To: STMFC
Sent: Fri, Sep 6, 2013 6:03 pm
Subject: [STMFC] Re:Phoney RPM Meet

   By total accident rather late Wed. evening it was found that there is a new
"Mid-Atlantic RPM Meet" being held on 13 & 14 Sept. just over an hour away from
where I live when here in Virginia and not home in Vermont. Thus Thur. morning I
attempted to learn more about it. First it was found that the website for it
takes foorreevver to open but finally did so while I was reading about it on
other than the "official" website. Once it did open I got the surprise of my
life to find that the snobs that run it really do not have there act together. I
have run two fall meets for the Northeastern Region of the NMRA going back as
early as 1974 and never had more than two other people working with me to do it.
At each we either equalled or exceeded the number of people who attended the
Saturday evening banquet with figures in the 250 range.

   Since that time I have put together three smaller meetings in Vermont for
those of us with specific interests in milk cars and milk trains. These meets
have been attended by from 25 to 40 people and seem to have been well enjoyed by
those present. I have also attended Dave Owens Collinsville, CT RPM meet
whenever possible and have presented clinics there. ALL of these events welcomed
anyone who wished to attend. NOT SO the new Mid-Atlantic RPM meet!!!!  The
organizers limited attendance to themselves and their buddies, allowing only 40
people to attend with no admittance at the door and stating that no one would be
allowed in who had not preregistered. What a bunch of snobs! If I had control of
the RPM title believe me this group would NEVER be allowed to use it. I can't
imagine any of the fine folks I have met at RPM meets in Napierville or
Collinsville wanting to be associated with what is supposed to take place in
Virginia on the 13th and 14th. Having met a number of gr
 eat fellow modelers from all over the US and Canada in my years in this hobby,
many of whom hae become close friends, I cannot think of a single event such as
an RPM or NMRA or SIG meeting that did not welcome anyone who could attend. It
appears the clowns responsible for this phoney RPM meet feel they are too good
to associate with regular modelers. Is any one interested in a REAL RPM meet at
that great Mid-Atlantic crossroads in Frederick, MD in the spring? Bet I can put
together a far better meet there in a few months time than these self important
snobs can ever arrange.

Just one man's opinion of their snotty attitude, Don Valentine

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)