Re: Time Freight, Red Ball Freight, Penalty

earlyrail

Fri Sep 6, 2013 2:35 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
richtownsend2002

The third is a solid orange rectangle. It says "PENALTY" and then has a blank for filling in "Home Route."

My fundamental question is how would these cards have been used? What would have been the difference between a time freight and a red ball freight? Was the "PENALTY" card used to say "send us our car back or you will pay?"

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon
I'll take a stab at this one.

Back when perdiem for freight cars was starting there was an increasing penalty for hanging on to empty cars. Before perdiem the cars were on a mileage basis and roads would not send empty cars home since it would cost them the mileage fees.

I have some reference somewhere and will dig in need be.

Howard Garner
modeling 1905