Re: outstanding article on freight cars

Tony Thompson

Don Burn wrote:

This brings up an interest question on covered hoppers in general. In the late 1940's and early 1950's how likely were you to see a car on other than a specific route. It looks like an awful lot of the early cars were private owner so I assume probably serviced a limited number of places.

      I don't think the private ownership statement is correct. Numerous private owners possessed a handful of cars each in the 1953 ORER, with only two big owners, SHPX having about 900 and GACX having less than 500 more. Meanwhile, ATSF owned 1450 cars; UP, about 1000 cars; and SP + T&NO, about 1350. That's just three railroads.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history