Re: You wreck, you buy ?

Paul Koehler <buygone@...>

I believe worked this way.  The damaging RR would make an estimate of costs to repair car, would then contact the owing road to find the depreciated value.  If cost to repair would exceed the deprecated value they would scrap the car and settle up with the railroad.  On the other hand if the deprecated value was lower that the cost to repair, the damaging railroad could repair the car and return the car or repair the car pay the scrap value re-letter it and keep it.

Paul C. Koehler

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of Charles R Yungkurth
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2013 12:21 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] You wreck, you buy ?

Since no one else answered I've venture my understanding.

The railroad doing the damage contacts the owner as to what he wants to do about the car along with an assesment of the damage. If owner elects to scrap it the damaging railroad pays the owner the value of the car and then chooses whther to scrap it ot keep it. If the car is toraly destroyed the railroad having the wreck simply pays the current value of th car.

Often (especially in the case of flat cars or hoppers) the owner elects to have the body returned and then they bill the damaging company for repair costs. It is faily common to see hopper or flat bodies placed upside down on a flat car and shipped back to the owner.  Have seen an occaisaon mech reefer body being sent on a flat car since these are expensive cars.

Chuck Yungkurth

Boulder CO