Re: The bicycle is nice, but how about a steam era freight car for our Neo site picture

Bill Schneider

“Unfortunately, the photo has two major flaws: the O&W diseasels (which he wisely cropped out of the one that didn’t work), and the total lack of UP cars in the train.”

You say flaws, I saw benefits… :>)

Also, by way of complete disclosure, the C&G car is one of Ted C’s on long-time interchange. I’m not looking forward to seeing the Per Diem charge on this one…. ;>)

Bill Schneider
http://home.comcast.net/~oandw/
http://oldandweary.blogspot.com/

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of Aley, Jeff A
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 1:06 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: RE: RE: RE: Re: [STMFC] RE: The bicycle is nice, but how about a steam era freight car for our Neo site picture

Dennis,

Bizzarely enough, I don’t think so. Doug Harding sent me an already-cropped freight yard photo (by Jack Delano), and every time I tried to use it, I got an error msg.
Bill Schneider sent me an already-cropped photo (taken in his back bedroom), and I got the same error msg upon repeated attempts.

But then I tried the original (uncropped) photo that Bill had also sent, and it uploaded just fine. Unfortunately, the photo has two major flaws: the O&W diseasels (which he wisely cropped out of the one that didn’t work), and the total lack of UP cars in the train.

At least I can agree that it is a very fine bit of modeling.

Regards,

-Jeff

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of destorzek@...
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 9:55 AM
Subject: RE: RE: RE: Re: [STMFC] RE: The bicycle is nice, but how about a steam era freight car for our Neo site picture

Jeff,

I bet if you took the image into Photoshop and copied some of the background on the ends to make it wider relative to its height, it would work just fine. Whahoo seems determined to keep that wide banner look, so its photo editor uses the full width of the image.

Dennis

---In STMFC@..., <stmfc@...> wrote:
Guys,

Unlike a proper “crop”, the Neo interface only lets you re-position the photo. You cannot zoom the image. This, for example, is the problem with the current “Hard Rock Café” logo that I put on the site just now.

Doug Harding sent a very nice, properly cropped Jack Delano photo of a freight yard. I tried to use it, but so far it has not “stuck”.

Regards,

-Jeff

From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of destorzek@...
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 7:09 AM
Subject: RE: RE: Re: [STMFC] RE: The bicycle is nice, but how about a steam era freight car for our Neo site picture

I understand that, Bruce. I was just pointing out that the vast majority of images available have been composed to "fill the frame" with a 5:4 or 4:3 aspect ratio The Yahoo banner is approximately 5:1. So you can use any image you want, but you'll only be able to use a strip of one quarter of it. I know that poorly cropped images that run off the page and are oriented at crazy angles are all the rage these days (about 1/3 of my daughter's wedding photos look like the photographer was drunk) but somehow this doesn't seem appropriate for the STMFC page.

The photos that DO work are those flat on broadside views that typically have way too much of both sky and foreground, but few people have taken model photos with such poor composition. Which is why I'll say again, if anyone has a topical photo that will fit the space currently occupied by our rock climbing cyclist, send it to Mike, and maybe he'll use it

Dennis Storzek

Dennis,

Not sure you understand how this works. As group owner, when you upload a cover photo (and I note that you cannot just get one from the group web page but it has to be on your hard drive) there is an option to "drag to reposition". When you do that, the location of the viewed part of the photo remains the same when you reopen it.

Regards
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:58 PM
Subject: RE: Re: [STMFC] RE: The bicycle is nice, but how about a steam era freight car for our Neo site picture

Really? You might be able to scroll up and down to see the top and bottom of the image, but the rest of us can't, so it just looks like a poorly cropped partial photo. The image used needs to be cropped to the correct aspect ratio; Whahoo will then re-size it to fit the page.

Dennis

Dennis when you upload the photo the web site lets you center it and
only then does it get cropped. I did this with one of Gene Deimling's
photos for the steamloco group and it turned out nicely IMO.

Tim O'

I agree, but the format for the "cover photo" is not a common size, although with its horizontal format, it does lend itself nicely to photos of railroad equipment. When I went looking through my image files for something to use on the SooLineHistory page, the only thing I found that would crop nicely to fit the space was a builder's photo of a three unit set of F-3's.

How about everyone looking through their personal photos for an image that works at a 5:1 aspect ratio and offer it to Mike?

Dennis Storzek

First thing our B&O moderator did to mollify this Neo affliction was replace it with a nice EM-1 (steam era and hauled a lot of freight cars) this morning. Forget this message if you have not yet experienced this superbug. At least a more appropriate picture would alleviate some of the discomfort.

Dave Snyder
Louisville, Ky.

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.