From: Don
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2013 5:51 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: NYS&W PS-1 (was: NYS&W composite side/end z-section howe truss PSC 40' boxcar)

Speaking of facts, I don't know why some people still refer to said cars as "Fowler" cars when those more familiar with them refer to them as Dominion Cars after their first builder. The Fowler patent extended only to the method of attaching the single sheathing, using
elongagated slots, rather than holes for the attachment bolts. This was to allow the bolts to be loosened after the sheathing had weathered and supposedly developed gaps between the boards. That did not occur as much as Mr. Fowler apparently thought it would so the elongagated slots were quickly discontinued in favor of bored holes.
I doubt anay of these cars constructed after 1913 made use of the Fowler patent and doubt even more that any cars constructed in the US made use of it. This would include those owned by the Susquehanna, Erie and NC&StL. Thus Dominion Car is a far more accurate label for these cars. Are there any surviving examples of these cars that used the patent? Perhaps the GTR car at the CRHA? Can't recall.

Cordially, Don Valentine