Re: Dominion Cars

Armand Premo

BTW,Does anyone know if Sunshine's decals are still available,especially the "chalk marks"  ? Armand Premo

----- Original Message -----
From: Ray Breyer
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2013 10:02 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] RE: RE: Re:Dominion Cars

I generally refer to Canadian cars as "Dominion", and to American cars as "Fowlers". There are subtle but obvious design differences between the two nation's "Fowler-type" cars, even after the Canadians stopped following the original designs. Mostly, the roofs are different between the two car types, and the original Fowler/Dominion cars have a horizontal brace at each end panel. There's also more end variation in American cars.

I'm currently armpit deep in examining the NKP and NYC's wood boxcar fleets, but after I'm done with those I'll be taking a good, hard look at all of these cars to see just where everything falls. One thing I think I've noticed is that it may have been the IC (1914) that first stretched the 36' Fowlers into 40-foot cars, which were then copied by the CGR (1916).

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 6:52 PM, "richtownsend@..." wrote:

If the prototype literature does not have a specific name for them, but there is a need for a name to be used by modelers, there probably are a few possibilities.  Among others, how about "Fowler-type cars," or "so-called Fowler cars," or "'Fowler' cars [Fowler in quotes]?"  The point should be to communicate needed information in a clear way.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon