Re: Most needed car?

dahminator68

Hi Eric:  Nice list but I wondered if you are listing these cars because they need to be modeled or just as an example of cars that had large quantities built by Railroads?

Andrew Dahm

From: "eric@..."
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2013 3:59 PM
Subject: RE: Re: [STMFC] Re: Most needed car?

Back in 2012, a group of pre-Depression modelers compiled a list of freight car models for mass production consideration.
In many cases here, 10,000-20,000 of the prototypes were produced. The in-service numbers through WWII were strong on a number of these individual freight car designs. Between 1946 and 1953, the in-service numbers rapidly dwindled as a 1953 mandatory K brake upgrade pushed railroads to scrap many older freight cars or move them to maintenance service.

New York Central Lines - 36-foot, double-sheathed box cars with Murphy inverted corrugated ends
New York Central Lines - 40 foot, double-sheathed, door-and-a-half automobile (XA) box cars
Pennsylvania Railroad - 40-foot GRa, fishbelly side sill, composite gondolas
New York Central Lines - 46 foot,  fishbelly side sill, composite mill gons - many rebuilt with steel replacing original wood sides
1905 common standard hoppers - several railroads rostered these in the thousands
Union Tank Lines (UTLX) X-3 tank cars - came in a few different gallon versions and an insulated version
Southern Railway -  36-foot, steel underframe, double-sheathed, truss rod, box cars
Baltimore & Ohio - M-15 class 40 foot, double-sheathed, box cars
Merchants Despatch Transit (MDT) reefers - 40 foot, double-sheathed, refrigerator cars
Harriman box cars - Southern Pacific, Union Pacific, Illinois Central - 40 foot, double-sheathed, fishbelly side sill, box cars
USRA 70-ton triple bay coal hopper - over 20,000 in service for Chesapeake & Ohio, and New York Central Lines

Here are some additional prototypes to consider. These were not produced in the quantity of those listed above but they are distinctive designs:
1924 ARA proposed standard XM-1 single-sheathed, Howe truss box car design - L&N, B&M, more
Seaboard Air Line B-3 or B-4 box car - similarities to the XM-1 above
Atlantic Coast Line ventilated box car (an updated version better than the old Con-Cor model)
wood vinegar tank car

I'm looking forward to the Dominion/Fowler model from True Line Trains someday. I'd be even happier if a 6-foot door version was produced to cover several US roads.

I model 1926, YMMV.

Eric Hansmann
El Paso, TX

---In STMFC@..., wrote:

Doug Harding wrote:
"What else is there?"

Signature cars for major roads that have not been sufficiently explored or analyzed, and the biggest elephant in the room is the New York Central.  What modelers think is covered and what we really need as steam era freight car modelers are two different things, and we really don't know what we don't know, even with the efforts of Jeff English in the late 1990s.

For example, the recent release of the Broadway Limited 8 ft 7 in IH USRA-design steel boxcar would lead you to believe that we have the most common boxcar covered.  However, the NYCS raised the IH of these cars during the production run, building large numbers of 9 ft 3 in and 10 ft IH cars.

Another example: what is the most common NYCS hopper car?  The USRA/USRA-design twin?  Bob Karig's early common standard?  Oddball IL offset twins?  It sure as heck isn't the AAR offset twin, which was a rare care on the NYCS - only 1000 cars!

How many?  Nobody really knows because nobody cares enough to go through the Byzantine lot system of the NYCS to really figure this out.

The B&O is another one - the M-53 and M-15 subclass wagontop boxcar were certainly signature cars of the railroad, but they were far outnumbered by the 1923 ARA alternate standard steel boxcars.

Additionally, there's another slamdunk that hasn't been done yet - the 10 ft IH postwar steel boxcar.  (The Intermountain car is a prototype unique to the GN.)  You can sell NYC Pacemaker boxcars and SP Overnight boxcars until the sun turns into a red giant, and that doesn't include the other prototypes!

Ben Hom