Re: Most needed car?

Steve H <nwicfan@...>

It would be interesting to see a list of "signature" cars and find out what types have been offered and what has not been offered.

- Steve Hedlund, Everett WA

On Monday, October 21, 2013 1:36 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:

Doug Harding wrote:
"What else is there?"

Signature cars for major roads that have not been sufficiently explored or analyzed, and the biggest elephant in the room is the New York Central.  What modelers think is covered and what we really need as steam era freight car modelers are two different things, and we really don't know what we don't know, even with the efforts of Jeff English in the late 1990s.

For example, the recent release of the Broadway Limited 8 ft 7 in IH USRA-design steel boxcar would lead you to believe that we have the most common boxcar covered.  However, the NYCS raised the IH of these cars during the production run, building large numbers of 9 ft 3 in and 10 ft IH cars.

Another example: what is the most common NYCS hopper car?  The USRA/USRA-design twin?  Bob Karig's early common standard?  Oddball IL offset twins?  It sure as heck isn't the AAR offset twin, which was a rare care on the NYCS - only 1000 cars!

How many?  Nobody really knows because nobody cares enough to go through the Byzantine lot system of the NYCS to really figure this out.

The B&O is another one - the M-53 and M-15 subclass wagontop boxcar were certainly signature cars of the railroad, but they were far outnumbered by the 1923 ARA alternate standard steel boxcars.

Additionally, there's another slamdunk that hasn't been done yet - the 10 ft IH postwar steel boxcar.  (The Intermountain car is a prototype unique to the GN.)  You can sell NYC Pacemaker boxcars and SP Overnight boxcars until the sun turns into a red giant, and that doesn't include the other prototypes!

Ben Hom