Re: MR plans from disk.

davesnyder59

Gentlemen, I suggest you look at the lifespan on the CD/DVD disk formats. I initially was quiet taken by their ease of use and zooming and scanning qualities. Mass produced commercial disks can last as little as three yrs and as much as 8 yrs. More expensive grades can be had at greater cost of course. Wikipedia has some good info on them. I still like them for ease of use, but dropping $50 or so for something that won't last 10 yrs in a lot of cases dampened my fascination.  And I'm sure glad I didn't dump my hard copies.

Dave Snyder

Louisville, Ky.

---In STMFC@..., <stmfc@...> wrote:

Hi Denny,

I bought the DVD set for much the same reason as others have stated.

I have a large expanse of wall area dedicated to magazines, and was contemplating replacing those mags with digital copies.

My experience related to freight car drawings.

I found the search function relatively easy to use.

Once I found the drawing, I printed it and like Charlie, found the resolution was too low to read the lettering detail (I wanted this so I could make accurately lettered decals).

I then retrieved the original hard copy and photocopied the drawing.

Completely legible – no fuzzyness at all.

So at this point I’m contemplating going through my MRs and removing and keeping loco and car drawings, while discarding the balance of each magazine.

Cheers

Dave North