Re: MR plans from disk.

Tony Thompson

Dave Evans wrote:

Just as US railroads will still be operating standard gauge 50 years from now, I suspect we will still be able to read PDF files and jpegs for longer than anything but the most exquisitely maintained paper based documents will physically last.

     Dave, I agree with everything you said -- up until that last sentence. The Gutenberg Bible, printed about 1450, is still impressively readable, with lovely white paper. Of course, some much more recent documents, on acid-rich paper, are crumbling, but I think the PDF and JPEG have a long ways to go to catch up with Gutenberg.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history