Re: Reporting marks

Tony Thompson

Andy Sperandeo wrote:

The answer to this is going to be all over the place. I don't remember when the ARA or AAR dropped the lines as a recommendation, but the Santa Fe decided on its own to eliminate them back in the 1920s. Then in 1940 and again in 1946, General American delivered ACF-design covered hoppers with the lines even though they were no longer specified by the ATSF – go figure!

This does not seem to have been rare. SP discontinued using periods in the reporting marks "S.P." in 1931, but some of the 1937 AAR box cars delivered in 1937 came from the builder with periods. I guess some of those guys didn't "get the memo."

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history