Re: Linseed Oil and the New Tangent Tank Car

Aley, Jeff A

Charles,

               Very interesting, and well-researched, as usual.  It is interesting that the majority of the traffic was shipped in 8K gal tank cars, which I infer were single-compartment cars.

In my case, I don’t model a source of linseed oil, but I do plan to model a destination.  The Great Western Paint Mfg Co. was headquartered in Kansas City, MO (in the West Bottoms) and served by the UP.

               For those listmembers who may also have a paint factory on their layouts, the brochure at the following link contains (on pp.22-23) info on the paint manufacturing process in the late 1920’s.  I imagine [please correct me] that the process was similar in the 1950’s.

https://archive.org/details/GreatWesternPaintCatalog1929

Regards,

-Jeff