Re: AUTOMOBILE SHIPMENTS IN BOX CARS IN THE 1950S

Guy Wilber

Al wrote:

"Hello: I recall 1957 or 1958 Nash Ramblers arriving at Salem MA in 40' box cars. I don't know the type of loaders that were used but remember that they were stacked 2 over 2. Wondered at the time how the top cars were unloaded. Wish I were more attuned to railroad practices at the time. Regards, Al Campbell"

Al,

Nash, along with several other small manufacturers, was more likely to have shipped their product by rail for long distances due to not owning any regional assembly plants.  Shipments (via rail) of total production from Nash's Kenosha, Wisconsin, plant were 52% in 1947 as contrasted with 26.6% of all autos produced in the Detroit area.

The loaders would have been Evans as they were the only game in town by 1957.

If you still wonder how the top cars were unloaded, let me know and I will be happy to explain the procedure.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada