Re: Athearn Blue Box boxcar -- prototype?

Tony Thompson

Alex Schneider wrote:

This morning I stripped the lettering, and took a closer look at the underbody. The brake components have to go as there is no way the brake cylinder can point at the brake wheel. I will probably replace the weight as steel weights give problems with uncoupling magnets. I will also replace the wheels.

      The brake gear problem is that it is reversed. A minimal correction is to cut off the brake parts and simply glue them in the same spot, but on the other side of the center sill. Now they are correctly aligned. Of course they are kind of crude, and you need brake rigging to be added.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history