Re: ACF 70-ton covered hopper

Tony Thompson

Ron Merrick wrote:

Just did a quick look, and it seems all three (Kato, Bowser, and IM) are currently available in some form. It's not obvious to me that there are any real differences between them, except the Intermountain with wire grabs and handrails.

      Ron, I would say the IM cars are a HUGE improvement over the older designs with their cast-on grab iron rows. Kato was a great improvement over the old E&B Valley kit when it came out, but neither it nor Bowser hold a candle to the IM model, IMO. If you spot two together, Kato and IM (yes,  still have some Katos), I do not think you will say there aren't "any real differences" between them.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history