Re: double sheathed & single sheathed - most common in the early 195os

Larry Kline

There is an article by Harvey George about the Atlanta Birmingham & Coast USRA single sheathed cars that went to the ACL in the September 2008 issue of the Seaboard-Coast Line Modeler. It says that:
- 190 of these cars were still in service when the ACL acquired the AB&C in 1946.
- They were retired rapidly by the ACL. My 7-1947 ORER shows only 56 still in service.
   My 4-1951 ORER shows only 22 still in service.
- 22 were rebuilt as all steel cars that were "thoroughly modern" in appearance.
   My 1-1953 ORER shows an IH of 10 ft 4 in for the 22 rebuilt "all steel" cars.

Does anyone have photos of the rebuilt ACL cars? The number series is 26007-26180.

Larry Kline
Pittsburgh, PA

Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:12 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

In terms of USRA boxcars in the south, the ACL was the only owner of the 40-ton Double Sheathed cars that were all rebuilt with steel sides. The Georgia, Clinchfield and RF&P owned the SS 50-ton cars and those owned by the Clinchfield and RF&P survived pretty much intact except for AB Brakes being applied into the 1950's. The Georgia car had steel applied but retained the vertical and diagonal bracing.

Bill Welch