Re: Boxcar Ends

Tony Thompson

Ron Merrickt wrote:

No doubt it was another attempt to lower thermal stresses in the wheel by allowing differential expansion at the OD and accommodating the expansion by deflection of the 'waves' in the wheel web.

     Nope. It's to stiffen the wheel. Nothing to do with the casting process OR thermal stresses. Rib-free wheels perform identically well (or poorly) under thermal stress patterns. I was involved with the AAR wheel testing program at their Pueblo test track some years ago, and frankly learned more about car wheels than I really wanted to know.

(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history