Re: weathering issues

Tony Thompson

Brian Carlson wrote:

I have two persistent weathering issues. 1) tank cars and 2) weathering removal when overcoating with a flat finish.

1)      I like to use powders when weathering (Pan Pastels, Bragdon’s powders, etc) as opposed to paint. But I can never get the weathering look I want on tank cars. What is the most effective look to get the “overall grunge look” often seen on the lower ½ to 1/3 of the tank course and frame.  There are too many nooks and crannies to get a convincing look using pan pastels in my attempts. Do most of you use paint? How about weathering the tank and frame separately before final assembly anyone do that?

I typically use dullcote and often I’ll lose much of the weathering when spraying the car. How do y’all avoid that?

As you may know, Brian, I prefer washes of acrylics for weathering generally and especially for tank cars. I do use Bragdon powders, and they seem to stay pretty well where they are put, but my primary weathering is the acrylics. You can double-coat the bottom sheet of tank cars to get that look you describe.
        And of course the acrylic dries and doesn't blow away when spraying with flat.

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.